- 30th March 2017
- Posted by: TALIAN
Demand-driven resource planning above and below the wing
“The aviation industry is very dynamic and competitive. Customer satisfaction and cost efficiency need to balance. We can meet these challenges with the Quintiq solution and offer airlines the best possible service and support during check-in and arrival procedures.”
– Brussels Airport
Successful airport service providers master complexity to meet their business goals. Every decision an airport service provider makes balances profitability with keeping tens of thousands of stakeholders happy, in a constantly changing environment.
Your planners and dispatchers must ensure that passengers are processed with speed, safety and comfort, while managing complex variables including employees, equipment, facilities, airlines and flights Your company’s future depends on how well they perform.
This is where Quintiq comes in.
Do you get the best results out of your planning?
- Demand-driven shift planning.
At peak hours, there’s congestion at check-in, security, and baggage claim areas. Off-peak, staff often sit idle. Shift planning is a constant challenge, because it’s not just about meeting variable demand. It involves complicated, employee-specific rule checking, and it’s largely reliant on the planner’s personal knowledge.
Your planner identifies the combinations of employees, skills and qualifications needed through the day. You can see clearly who is available for overtime and who can be reassigned. The shift plan incorporates all the rules, regulations and personal requirements, with your scheduler able to adjust it from his own knowledge.
Passenger – and employee – bottlenecks are eliminated.
Your planning system enables the scheduler to optimize shift planning for best demand coverage.
2. Dealing with uncertainty in a hectic environment
Aircraft switches, flight delays, cancellations and other disruptions all affect ground crew and passenger services. You need to replan your workforce and tasks on the spot. Your legacy point solutions mean it’s a struggle to replan employees and tasks quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively. Especially when you can’t see the wider impact.
With strategic buffers in your schedule your dispatcher can respond quickly and effectively to sudden changes.
Real-time transparency of the entire chain of flight and airport activities and the systems’ intelligent support allow you to seamlessly manage allocation of resources throughout the day, immediately updating stakeholders. You reduce delays caused by your operations and cut unbudgeted overtime shifts.
Total visibility and insight allow you to create a flexible daily schedule.
3. A nearby airport closes, and ATC informs you that your airport will receive 12 additional flights over the next 2 hours. When resources are planned in separate systems, it’s difficult to determine quickly whether the slots, ground staff and equipment are available or if there will be delays for regularly scheduled flights.
You struggle to determine how this unexpected development will affect costs, overtime and safety compliance for your operations.
As the dispatcher sees the additional flights show up on his screen, he uses of his all-in-one system’s powerful optimization support to select the best possible scenario for allocating your resources, while meeting safety requirements and avoiding extra costs.
The system monitors and displays the status of all airport events in real-time and alerts the planner of rule violations, conflicts or compliance issues. It communicates the consequences of your planning decisions to all stakeholders.
React fast to events with a powerful system that reallocates resources and alerts constraint violations.
4. Your apron staff reports the breakdown of the push-back tractor at one of the aircraft parking positions. The plane waiting to be pushed back may not be able to depart on time. Can you mobilize a replacement vehicle and have the plane turned around in time for the next arrival?
Keeping your daily operational plan on target is hard. Technical problems and other disruptions can create a chain of messy consequences.
The dispatcher has immediate insight into replacement tractors’ availability, drivers’ shifts and the consequences for the rest of airport operations. He selects the best option and communicates the change across your affected operations before the breakdown ever becomes a problem. Your dispatcher can make better decisions, and your company continues to provide its services on time and on budget.
Quickly solve rescheduling puzzles involving people, equipment, locations and other interconnected factors.
5. You’ve been notified of a number of flight delays. Your planner becomes overloaded, and your entire organization feels the repercussions. Your various point solutions have a hard time communicating with each other. You have to handle each item, then print out your revised plan and run it over to other departments, who have to enter it into their systems manually.
Rescheduling in your daily operations is a breeze, because all your systems talk to each other. All areas operate within a powerful single-platform resource planning solution. It is so flexible that it interfaces with all other airport service, airline and airport systems and uses their outputs to provide a clear, unified plan. Any chance for error is eliminated.
The solution enables collaborative decision-making across systems and departments and even organizations. All aspects of planning decisions are visible in real time to the entire operation.
You have time to focus on building an effective, rather than just feasible, plan.
Planning for business goals
Planning is key to achieving your business goals. By including KPIs for quality, efficiency and safety in all planning decisions, Quintiq’s solution ensures that:
- Optimal utilization of all resources
- Full compliance with rules and regulations
- Performing each task at the right time by the right person with the right training and qualifications
- Quick reaction to disruptions, assessing impact and recommending the best countermeasures
- Greater employee satisfaction and retention through scheduling that considers personal preferences
- Constantly updated demand planning based on the most recent data, including the latest flight information
For details on how the Quintiq solution can optimize your operations, visit quintiq.com or contact TALIAN as Quintiq’s business partner.